September 20, 2012
At Nexen, we’re committed to developing energy responsibly. One of the ways we assess whether we’re meeting this goal is by participating in select surveys measuring the sustainability performance of companies in our industry as well as other industries. For the twelfth consecutive year, we’ve been recognized as a leader in one of the most widely recognized of these surveys, the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI).
The DJSI surveys companies worldwide from a variety of sectors on their economic, social and environmental performance. In 2012, 49 North American-based oil and gas companies participated in the survey. We’re proud to be among a select group of 10 companies who achieved North American Leader status.
This year we improved on our 2011 performance, with an overall score of 71% (an increase from 69% last year). Some of the areas where we scored highest include:
- Stakeholder Engagement: 100% (2011: 100%)
- Social Impacts on Communities: 100% (2011: 100%)
- Releases to the Environment: 100% (new indicator in 2012)
- Codes of Conduct/Compliance/Corruption & Bribery: 97% (2011: 89%)
- Environmental Policy/Management Systems: 95% (2010: 93%)
- Human Capital Development: 88% (2010: 88%)
- Biodiversity: 86% (2010: 71%)
- Corporate Governance: 84% (2010: 82%)
“Our continued high ranking in surveys such as this is – first and foremost – a credit to all employees who make this happen with their behaviour and decisions every day,” says Kelly Kowalchuk, Vice President, Health, Safety, Environment & Social Responsibility. “These surveys also present a great benchmarking opportunity, where we can assess areas of strength and areas where we can consider improvement.”
The DJSI was launched in 1999, and is the first global index that tracks the financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. To learn more about the DJSI, visit their website.
View our other awards.