We have strong ethical practices in our dealings with governments.
Playing a Role in the Decision-making Process
Nexen believes good public policy is achieved when all stakeholders contribute to the government decision-making process. We achieve this by partnering with governments to keep policy-makers, regulators and elected officials informed of our business activities and future plans. In return, we enhance our own understanding of the wider goals and objectives of governments.
We discuss a number of topics with governments, either directly or through industry associations. Examples include:
- Safety and environmental performance
- Energy demands and consumption patterns
- Investment priorities
- Taxation and royalties
- Local communities and Aboriginal consultation and involvement
- New technologies and innovation
We have strong ethical practices in our dealings with governments. This entails being in compliance with all laws including those related to lobbyist registration and political contributions:
- We do not make political contributions in countries outside Canada.
- We only make political contributions at the provincial level and only in the provinces where we operate.
- Contributions to political parties, committees or to individual politicians may only be made in accordance with the applicable law, and we comply with all requirements for public disclosure of such contributions.